The Orange Door recognises that family violence is not and has never been a part of Aboriginal culture.
People who identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander can choose to be supported by an Aboriginal worker at The Orange Door or be referred to an Aboriginal service.
The Orange Door has an Aboriginal Practice Leader and works with local Aboriginal services and communities to meet the needs of families and support Aboriginal self-determination.
If you would prefer to use a specialist Aboriginal service, you can access this through existing organisations.
You should contact The Orange Door if:
- someone close to you is hurting you, controlling you or making you feel afraid – such as your partner, family member, carer or parent(s)
- you are a child or young person who doesn’t have what you need to be OK
- you are worried about the safety of a friend or family member
- you need more support with the care of children, e.g. due to money issues, illness, addiction, grief, isolation or conflict
- you’re worried about the safety or wellbeing of a child or young person
- you need help to change your behaviour and stop using violence in your relationships
You can access a range of family violence and family services through The Orange Door – in person or over the phone. You don’t need a referral.
Workers at The Orange Door are highly trained and experienced in responding to family violence and supporting children, parents and families who need extra help.
Workers at The Orange Door understand that people who need family violence or family services may also be dealing with other issues, such as:
- substance misuse
They will connect you with services that can help and support you with these issues too.
The Orange Door is open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday (closed public holidays). Out-of-hours support is available.
If you live in an area that already has The Orange Door (Barwon, Bayside Peninsula, Inner Gippsland, Mallee and North Eastern Melbourne), you can:
- call and speak to someone over the phone
- call to arrange an appointment
- walk in to The Orange Door in your area
To get the help and support you need in all other areas in Victoria, you can contact existing services. They offer similar services as The Orange Door – they just haven’t been brought together in one place yet.